The Great Doily Debate

There are a number of things that I promised myself I would never do:
  • talk about the price of gas
  • cook anything called a casserole
  • own a doily
Somehow, and I can not explain how this has come to pass, I have broken all three of these resolutions, the most recent of which is that I have crocheted a doily- GASP!  Here it is:


Rather lovely, no?  I quite like it, although I'm still not precisely sure what function it fufills.  And yet, I really like it.  In fact, I'm a bit overly protective of it.  The doily used to sit on the kitchen table under a candle, looking nice against the oak.  But within the course of its first 24 hours of existence, it was assaulted by a barrage of peanut butter splatter, spilled coffee, spilled water, and banana goo.  I quickly realized that I would have to watch over the doily with constant vigilence and always be ready to spring at a moment's notice to whisk it off the table whenever there was anything spillable/shmearable in sight.  To be honest, my nerves just couldn't handle the strain. 

The doily now lives in the hallway.  And I sleep easier at night.


In fact, I think I might just need to make another one- same colors, different shape.  It's the next project on my list, although I'm still not quite sure why I'm making them....
P.S. The pattern I followed was a link found on the beautiful Cozy Things blog, and the writer called it a "comfort doily"- how could I resist?!?!?!

Comments