EGR: Tortilla Espanola a la Mersydotes

Once upon a time, I took an amazing trek across Spain with my father, and we ate an astounding number of torillas espanolas, or "Spanish omelets".  It was cold in Andalucia, and the eggs and potatoes warmed us to the toes.  It didn't have an overpowering taste, so it was consistently yummy whether hot, cold, served in a sandwich, with peppers on top, etc.  Once we were home, I started to try to recreate this truly cozy dish, and what I have come up with barely resembles a tortilla espanola at all!  But ooohhh is it yummy!  And definitely cozy!

Here's my glee Spanish omelet:

First, you'll need some potatoes, some eggs, some onions, and perhaps some peppers if you would like.  I'm not big on counting or measuring things in recipes because everyone has their own tastes and preferences and dietary needs, so these aren't rules, merely guidelines. 

Then, chop everything up.



I tend to take out the seeds from the peppers if they're spicy ones like these jalapenos.  The spicyness is found in the seeds and in the lighter colored veins inside the peppers, so those parts are definitely optional.  I think this dish tastes best bland (odd to say that isn't it?), so I took out the seeds.

Beat the eggs and add salt and pepper.


Now, don't freak out at this next part!  You'll need to fill a pot or pan with a good amount of oi.  But don't freak out- this oil is only for cooking- you won't be ingesting it!



Pop your ingredients into the oil (heated over medium heat), and cook for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.  Warning: Things are about to begin smelling amazing!


Then, drain away all that oil (see, I wasn't lying)!  (It can be used for other cooking later.)


Once drained, slide all the yummyness into a pan, pour the eggs over top, and cook in the pan over medium head until it just begins to solidify and separate from the sides.




Set your oven to broil, pop in the pan, and let the omelet set.

Are you ready for the most dramatic departure yet from the traditional tortilla espanola?  Brace yourself, here it is: Finally, cover with Swiss cheese and pop back under the broiler until done to your satisfaction.

As I said, it barely resembles its Spanish ancestor, but I guarantee it's yummy!  (P.S.  It's really good with hot sauce and a nice green frizzy salad!)

Comments