Freeform Crochet

At the moment, I'm all about seaside blue, which is ironic, seeing as Mr. Mersydotes and I don't live anywhere close to a body of water bigger than our bathtub!  But there's something about the idea of gentle aquas, and sea foam, and waves that has been capturing my crochet imagination recently. 

The other day, I found a glorious kid mohair and nylon blend yarn- it feels fabulous, and is almost intimidatingly delicate!

I'd been reading up a bit about free-form crochet, and found a pattern for a light and airy summer scarf that was an intro to free form in that there are no strict patterns or measurements to be followed.

It was a very relaxing project and is surprisingly warm considering its laciness.  A week ago during our last cold snap I wore it wrapped around my neck and pinned, and stayed toasty warm.  It also looks good just long and drapey.  It could have turned out quite ordinary, but the airy texture and the extreme length took it from ordinary to eye-catchingly extraordinary!

A goal of mine is to get better acquainted with freeform crochet.  I've been looking at the beautiful examples found here, and I just love how they look alive- like tide pools on the coast or shelf fungi in the forest- soooo beautiful!

I'll let you know what else I discover!
Take care!
~Mersydotes

Comments