Cloudy Days

The weather has gone backwards over the past few days with lots of drizzle and temps in the 50s.  What happened to being on the doorstep of summer?!

But that doesn't mean that outdoors life has come to a stop.  In fact, it seems like we have more and more birds on our feeders every day.  The local squirrel likes to jump on and tip out all the seed, which makes the ground-feeding sparrows and mourning doves very happy.  We even had a pair of cardinals here the other day.

Besides house sparrows and fox sparrows, the most beautiful family of white-striped sparrows have arrived.  They look like they're wearing little striped helmets :)  I decided to try to take a picture of them yesterday, so I opened up the sliding door, and sat down very quietly with my camera pointed at the patio.  It took a good long time, but eventually they returned to the seed and didn't mind my presence so much.  Here are the little cuties!



Penny was very well-behaved and observed all the neighborhood animals without bolting through the door.

It was definitely time to put the basil into its own large pot, so I spent the afternoon bundled up and squiging around in the potting soil- lots of fun!  I also planted three little pots of red, pink, and white hypoestes, and since there were three plants left over, I popped them into the basil pot. 


I'm far from being a knowledgeable gardener, so I hope that I haven't combined plants that are incompatible or over-crowded the pots- trial and error will teach me!

Hope you have a lovely weekend!
~Mersydotes

Comments