Red Pepper and Parmesan, Jam Jars and Venice

I love pizza...

Whoops!  Drifted off into a dream world there- cheese and tomatoes and crispy crust.  One winter, just before the new year, I was backpacking through Italy and wound up in Venice.  It was freezing, and the fog was a wall of ice crystals hanging in the air!  By the time evening came, I was desperate to find somewhere warm to sit and thaw myself out for a while.  I took one of the vaporetto boats along the grand canal with all the evening commuters, looking at the lights of the buildings floating above the water.  Magical!  It dropped me off near Saint Mark's, and on a back street, I found a tiny pizzeria with windows fogged up from the warm steam of the pizza ovens.  That was the place for me!  I ordered a pizza margharita, and watched it cook in the brick oven.  I saw the cook pull it out on a long paddle, and was all set to dive in, when I saw him reach for a bottle of olive oil and douse my pizza with it!  Oh no!  Never had I seen pizza drizzled with olive oil in the US, and I thought my dinner would be ruined, but you know what- it was delicious!  One of the most scrumptious and warm and satisfyingly cozy meals I've ever had!

So!  We finished off a jar of Bonne Maman strawberry jam the other day, and I just love the look of those jars!  I thought maybe I could put them to good use, and discovered that the Internet is filled with one billion three trillion eighty two million sixteen thousand four hundred and forty four different uses for Bonne Maman jam jars!  Who knew!  I like the look of this, but we'll have to eat more jam before it becomes possible! (source for picture here)



Here's what I did with mine.  In honor of all things deliciously pizza, here are two adorable pic-nic pizza shakers- one for crushed red pepper, and one for Parmesan.  All you need are a few empty jam jars, a hammer, and some nails to poke the holes.  Good luck!



And here's the final procuct- ready for the home pizza parlor!



Comments