Platanos

When I was a child, my grandmother would fry plantains and cover them with cheese- it's one of my most vivid taste memories.  Fried plantains are so delicious, and with the combination of sweet and salty, I'm not quite sure if they're a main dish or a dessert!  Every once in a while, I pick up a few and let them ripen in the fridge or on the counter until they're speckled with black spots (they'll be perfect on the inside!).

Then, I slice them up at an angle so that the slices are little ovals.
 
Pop them into a pan- if it's nonstick, you can dry fry them, if not, heat up a little bit of oil.

Once they're browned, cook on the other side and squish them down.  That's really important- you have to squish them! (It's the whole secret to the recipe!)
 
Then, cover them with little chunks of salty cheese (goat cheese, queso para fundir, etc.).  Easy-peasy!

Comments