Le Rouge

I do believe "vivid" is the mot juste here:



I just picked these little guys from the patio, and I'm blown away by their color.
It reminds me of being a child in the Spring, and my mother taking me to Avery Island, Louisiana to see the amazing bird sanctuary there.  Hundreds of egrets nesting, mating, calling, flying!  It's where my love of birds began.  Avery island is also the home to McIlhenny's Tabasco plantation, and they grow all of the peppers there.  The island itself is a salt island, and they use the salt in the Tabasco production.  Rows and rows of chili peppers are picked by hand, and a little red painted stick "le petit baton rouge" is used to see if the chilies are ripe and ready to become Tabasco. 

What do you think- are these chilies ripe enough?  Is there any paint in the world bright enough to match this amazing color?

P.S. In case it ever comes up, don't chop up a whole bunch of jalapenos and then take out your contacts- trust me!  Happened last week, and I'm still shocked!

Comments