Knit, Purl, Sew at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens

We escaped today!  We got far away from the traffic and the streets and the noise and went somewhere where I could breathe the air in big gulps and hear myself think for the first time in a long, long time.  A place where the air smelled like pine and creosote.  A place where there was peace and greenery.  We went to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and spent our afternoon readjusting our souls!



I'm a little country mouse in the big, big city and I've been pining for pines, yearning for yews, needing more elms in my realm, wanting to "spruce" up my world- you get the idea!  This Midwestern mouse has been missing all things green!!



I'm actually thinking of calling up the management office to see if they'll rent us some space so that we can camp on the arboretum lawns- it would be wayyyyyyy better than the brick jungle!!!



And it just so happens that along with our plant therapy, there was a fiber arts expo going on- coincidence?  I think not!  It was called Knit, Purl, Sew and closed today, so we visited just in the nick o' time.  A collaborative group of textile artists used yarns of different fibers and textures to knit flowers and plants as anatomically correctly as possible.  





Their work was really inspiring- many of the flowers were of "larger-than-life" scale so that you could really see the care that the artists had taken when stitching the contours of petals, stamens, and leaf veins.  The cable work to represent the internal structure of the leafs was especially remarkable.




I think my very favorite was the lily pond wall installation.  Seeing the lily pads reminded me of how geometrically complex knitting and crochet can be with parabolic shapes.  And since it is too cold for the outdoor ponds to be green and blooming at the moment, it was an extra special treat to see them represented in yarn.  






Mr. Mersy and I can't wait until the weather is warm enough for everything to return to life and the blooms to emerge on the branches.  I think we will probably make the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens our home away from home!

Lots of love,
~Mersydotes 

Comments