Riparian Chicago

We happened to be in Chicago meeting with some dear friends on the Fourth of July, and I took a few snapshots of a side of Chicago that was new to me. 
 
Even though I know the Windy City is on the banks of Lake Michigan, I never really think of it as a maritime sort of a place.

But as we walked from Millennium Park to Navy Pier (quite a hike!), we discovered that it's possible to do so all along the lakeshore. 

I highly recommend this route as we had fresh breezes, water on one side, parks on the other, and beautiful views of both the lake and the river. 
 

It turns out that Chicago is also an excellent place to go birding.  Papa Mersydotes and I were there during the spring migration season, and we saw beautiful ducks (golden-eyes, buffleheads, morganzers) along the river banks downtown! 

With this perspective, it was actually refreshing to walk around what is usually an overwhelmingly big city!

It was terribly hot and humid on Thursday, so I'm sure that the tourists on the ferry were grateful for the water cannon!

Happy Fourth everyone!

~Mersydotes

Comments