Pesto Time

I looked to the sky today and saw the clouds rolling in from the West, and I knew- it was time...

...time to harvest the basil!  Woot!  Woot!

It had already gone to seed a little while ago, but I had cut it back once, but then work and life caused time to get away from me, and it went to seed again, spending its precious energy on flowers rather than tasty leaves. 

I couldn't let this go on a moment longer, so I grabbed my kitchen scissors and harvested as much as I could. 

I felt just awful about cutting the basil- my plants are like my pets!  I worry about their well-being all the time!  But, with any luck, this will be a catalyst for fresh growth and new stems of basil before the season is over.

By the time I had filled  up the colander with leaves, the house was so full of the smell of basil I was a bit light headed.  Into the blender they went along with some parmesan, garlic cloves, and olive oil.

I haven't added any nuts yet, because I like to make different kinds of pesto- walnut, pine nut, pistachio- and it will be easy to add them into the small frozen batches when we're ready to use them.

Have you ever seen anything so green?  It almost looks like guacamole!  Isn't it awesome how simple ingredients make the most vibrant and flavorful food?!! 

Can't wait to open up the freezer and pull out little baggies of pesto for autumnal cooking and whiffs of summer in the middle of December!

Buon apetito!
~Mersydotes

Comments