Quick Pickles

About a year ago, I ate my very first pickle, and it was a revelation.  I owe it to my neighbor for introducing me to Polish dill pickles and convincing me that they are not "creepy".  It turns out, they are delicious!  A playful antagonism of sweet and tart and crisp!

So, when we saw pickling cucumbers at the farmer's market yesterday, I got it into my head that we should learn how to make quick pickles at home.

Food preservation seems such an essential piece of knowledge, and yet it is becoming rarer and rarer to find folks who know how to plan for the cold months.  Turns out, it's quite easy!

I followed this recipe and decided to just make refrigerator pickles and not yet processed canned pickles in the interest of experimenting and trying the results as soon as possible.  First, the cucumber slices were tossed with salt and then sat for a bit- removing quite a bit of water.

Then, a simple mixture of vinegar, water, salt, sugar, garlic, and pickling spices is combined.  Oh, I wish I could share with you the scent of the pickling spices!  It is heavenly and mysterious!

Pickling spice is a mixture of mustard, pepper, chili, allspice, bay leaf, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, cloves, and cardamom.  Can you see all the different dried seeds, berries, and herbs?  Isn't it beautiful?
 
And then, all you need to do is combine the cucumber slices and the "sauce" and let it sit over night. 

Our jar is nestled into the fridge, keeping the milk and oj company.  Can't wait to try out our first batch of homemade pickles tomorrow.  I'll let you know how they taste!
~Mersydotes


Comments