Treasures of the NYPL

Over Thanksgiving vacations, while exploring our future big city home, I took refuge in the New York Public Library one bitterly cold and blustery afternoon in Manhattan.  Guarding the main entrance, the lions Patience and Fortitude greeted me.  This one looked like Fortitude to me:

It felt a bit more like a museum than a library, and I had arrived just in time to join the free guided tour- I highly recommend it!  As the best representation of beaux-arts architecture in the US, the library's reading rooms were breath-taking!  



I can' wait until Mr. Mersydotes and I can spend snowy winter afternoons curled up inside one of these literary refuges!

After the tour ended, I visited the free exhibit called The ABC of It about the history of children's literature around the world since the 1600s.  You can check out the link here.

As part of the exhibit (from the permanent collection of the library), I saw the stuffed animals that inspired Winnie the Pooh- adorable!!!  I'd like to introduce you to Tigger and wee Piglet:


These sweet friends live at the NYPL year-round, so the next time you're feeling the chill of the big city, consider taking a peek inside!
~Mersydotes

Comments