I remember how to knit!

(...sort of).

Here are a few test swatches with stitch patterns that I was practicing.  It was fun to watch the patterns emerge as I went, even if the tension is all wonky!  It's been soooo long since I've done any knitting, and it was bothering me that there are such beautiful patterns and creations out there, but that I didn't feel up to the challenge.

It all started when I was in college.  The resident advisor on my floor of the dormitory was a well-intentioned, psychotic young woman who was dead-set on making us 30 or so girls "bond".  I know- we were all horrified at the prospect too, but the RA was indefatigable.  One of her first attempts to create lasting friendship amongst us was to distribute a skein of acrylic yarn and a pair of knitting needles to each resident and assign us mandatory scarf knitting duty.  Although mystified, we dutifully made our scarves, but seeing as knitting is a fairly solitary task, we spent the fall semester knitting in our warm dorm rooms, not in the lounges or cafeterias as she had hoped.  

By the time cold weather set in, we all had hideous acrylic scarves in shockingly drab colors, and no idea what to do with them.  We certainly weren't going to wear them.  I for one decided to foist mine on some pour guy I had gone on all of two dates with.  He was thrilled, and to reciprocate gave me a pumpkin.  Seriously- he hauled an enormous pumpkin to my dorm.  For various reasons unrelated to the pumpkin, I discontinued our dates.  

To this day, I wonder if he still wraps my very first, hideous but oh-so-carefully-stitched scarf around his neck as he trudges through desolate winter streets, ruing the day that he let me get away.  On second thought, that scenario probably isn't so healthy...for either of us. ; )

Must get back to my knitting,
Love,
Mersydotes

Comments