Unexpected Masterpieces

The last thing I would expect to find on our street would be a great piece of art.  Don't get me wrong- it's not that I don't like our street, in fact, I really respect it's "block-party-that-never-ends" atmosphere.  It's just that everything on our street tends to be loud, second-hand, and dingy, so delicate works of art seem a bit out of place, as you dodge the piles of trash and cigarette butts on the way to the metro.  However, long ago, someone had the amazing talent to do a series of mosaics above the local fruit vendor stalls.  


So colorful, a perfect match to the smell of spices that permeates our neighborhood.  


Covered up by advertisements for everything under the sun, they seem to be forgotten- invisible mosaics from another time and place.


At first, I thought that it would be great if they were repaired and restored to their original completeness and shininess, but then I got to thinking that it is in their shabbiness that they are a match for our neighborhood.  We might be shabby around the edges, but there's still plenty of brightness and spiciness within!


Bye,
~Mersydotes

Comments