A Slice of Crochet

Would you like to join me for a slice of watermelon?  It's just been picked from the crochet patch! 

There are some new and summery little kitchen hot pads that I stitched after seeing an article in Martha Stewart Living about vintage watermelon crochet patterns (link here).
melon1-15-0611mld107210.jpg

These really grabbed me even though I'm normally not a fan of kitschy crochet.  But I think these are rather charming!  So, I made some of my own:

These were stitched with cotton hemp size 4 and a G hook.  I just did a basic circle with three different watermelony colors.  Then I added some seeds with little v-stitches in black yarn.  Can't have a watermelon without seeds for spitting contests!

And lastly, I decided to sew on a gingham checked backing to each hot pad.  I'm not a very accomplished sewer, but I'm really enjoying how sewing can complement crochet and give projects a clean, completed look.

Perhaps you would like to stitch up some slices too?!  It's super easy!

~Mersydotes

Comments