Sensational Succulents! Lovely New House Plants

Plants feel very much like pets to me- I enjoy being surrounded by them, I am amazed at their intelligence and beauty, and I worry about their health and well-being.  Our newest plant pets here in Mersydotes land are three sensational succulents that I met while walking along the street in our little barrio.  They were just hanging out on the sidewalk in the early spring sunlight, and I knew that their place was at home with us.  

This beauty is an aloe plant, and I have already harvested one frond to use the inner gel.  It makes the skin so smooth and healthy- I use it on my face when the weather makes it a bit too dry and itchy.  It feels good to live in conjunction with the houseplants- we each take care of each other!

We have also welcomed a jade plant into the apartment, and I must say that she is doing very well.  Indirect sun and very little water seem to suit her just fine- seems it's best if I just leave her alone!

Now this little guy has had a much harder transition to life in our apartment.  I'm not sure what kind of plant he is.  He's lost a lot of leaves since he came home with me- they just turned brown and shriveled up.  I've taken away the dead leaves since I've heard that they can drain a plant of energy needed for the healthy bits, and while he has grown significantly taller since arriving (I take that as a good sign), the underlying leaf layer has been lost.  What to do?

Perhaps it was the first little watering that I gave them when I brought them inside?  Could it have been too much?  Maybe more direct sunshine?  I'll let them all hang out on the window sill this week to see if it helps a bit.  

Coincidentally, in the most recent issue of Living magazine, there was a whole expo on succulents.  The article called them "charming, colorful, funny-looking, and interesting plants"!  Here's what I found out:

  • Don't touch the leaves- you might leave finger marks
  • Let the soil dry out completely between waterings
  • During the summer growing phase, water once a week
  • Water under the heads so that the centers don't begin to rot
  • Individual leaves can easily be rooted to become new plants
  • Most succulents like bright light, but yellowing means it's too bright
I'm really anxious to keep these beauties happy and healthy!  They are a lovely part of our little world!
~Mersydotes

Comments