Autumn Treat: Puppy Chow

Certain tastes from childhood will always be associated with autumn for me- in fact, most of my vivid memories of growing up come from the fall months.  Raking up crab apples with my grandmother, stirring apple butter in her kitchen, the smoke of burning leaves filling the street, roasted pumpkin seeds...

And every fall my mother (Mama Mersydotes) would make puppy chow- that amazing, all-American treat!  The recipe is no secret (it's on the box of Chex), so I thought I'd share some of the batch I made yesterday for a dinner at a friend's house.  And guess what!  It's gluten-free!

It took 9 cups of Chex:


A quarter cup of butter, half a cup of peanut butter, and whole glorious cup of chocolate chips:


All melted together: 


And then tossed and stirred together in a paper sack, and finally tossed with a half cup of powdered sugar:


Tah-dah!  The most glorious, yummy, autumnal snack!

Enjoy,
~Mesydotes

Comments