Reinventing the Cheese Toasty

I think that this is really the most delicious thing I've ever eaten!  But then again, I say that about 3 times a week, so I'm not sure you can trust me- but I guarantee that it is very yummy!  In fact, I think that cheese toasties and tomato soup is the coziest dinner on the plannet.  Just yesterday, I was looking through a cooking magazine, and saw a cheese toasty made with brie and pears- it sounded great, and in the back of my mind, a memory of a sandwich of long ago began stirring.  A few years back, I had a cheese toasty with fig jam and green apples at a local wine cellar.  It was great, and I thought to myself- why not cook one up tonight?! 

Here's what you need:

Just toast 2 pieces of your glee bread (we broil it in the oven) and then add a strong brown mustard to one piece and fig jam to the other.  Then layer on your cheese (Swiss in this photo) as well as some thinly sliced green apple.  I used a green Granny Smith, which was perfectly tart.  Instead of putting the sandwich back in the oven, you can just microwave it until the cheese has melted to your munching satisfaction.

Then, get ready...it's going to be scrumptious!

Enjoy!

Comments