Cinnamon Toast!

Warming spices...cinnamon, cumin, coriander, cardamom.  Isn't it funny how they all start with a "C"?  Anyway, the other day I saw a post from Bon Appetit on Instagram about how to make caramelized cinnamon toast, and it reminded me of the piping hot cinnamon sugar donuts my mom made in the eternal autumn that was my childhood.  

On cold, gray days, she would take cake donuts, split them in half, add butter, and then sprinkle each half with cinnamon and sugar.  It was always my job to mix the cinnamon and the sugar, and I loved stirring the mixture in a little bowl, watching the two colors swirling together with every turn of the spoon.  They would come out of the broiler piping hot, with the sugar caramelized and crisp.  The very best, warming treat!

The video from Bon Appetit combined everything together with the butter and prepared toast this way on a hot griddle, which is perfect for Mr. Mersy, since it means we can make the toast gluten free.  I think I've figured out the proportions for the cinnamon sugar butter: One stick of unsalted butter, two tablespoons brown sugar, one teaspoon cinnamon, and a sprinkle of salt.

We spread this on each side of Udi's whole grain gluten-free bread and then toss it on the griddle (this works in a pan, too, of course).  It sizzles and makes the apartment smell amazing!

And after it comes off the griddle and cools a bit, the exterior turns into a wonderfully crisp patina.  Such a good breakfast!  The only problem is that I find I run through the butter much too quickly!

What's your favorite breakfast for cold-weather days?
Lots of love,
~Mersydotes 


Comments