Acorn Squash: So Tasty!

Acorn squash reminds me of my childhood- it was always autumn, my hair was always in braided pig tails, and the house always smelled of squash and cinnamon.  Mama Mersydotes is a great cook and seems to instinctually know exactly what to do with every kind of produce you can imagine- apple crisps, potato salad, stuffed peppers, everything.  In my mind, this is exactly how acorn squash should be- just like it was when I was wee.

Step 1:
All that's needed is a bit of butter and brown sugar.

Step 2:
Trim off the stem and turn the squash upside down so that it's stable on the cutting board.

Step 3:

Slice through the squash until you meet the stem, then just split it the rest of the way by bending the two halves outward.

Step 4:

Now it's time to scrape out the seeds with a spoon, just like you would for a pumpkin.  I don't know if you can roast them like pumpkin seeds or if these aren't edible- does anyone know?  I'd love to find out.

Step 5: 

The squash can be cooked just like this, or you can go on to the next step to make a sauce.  I like the idea of eating a vegetable the same way that people have been eating it ever since they were able to roast it over a campfire.  But the sauce is pretty good, too!

Step 6:
For the sauce, just add a tablespoon of brown sugar and a tablespoon of butter to each half.

And now all that there is to do is to pop each half into the microwave for about 5 minutes each (but that will vary depending on the squash's size), until the squash is soft and the sauce is nice and melty.  It smells great!

I hope you enjoy!  Anyone else have a simple, tasty squash recipe to share?  A recipe that tastes like being a kidlet?

Lots of love,
~Mersydotes

Comments