The Mersys Go to Sleepy Hollow

Just north of the city is a magical land filled with hamlets and hollows and boroughs.  The kind of East Coast you think of when you here tales of Pilgrims and whalers.  In fact, before we moved out here, I honestly had no concept of what New York City would look like.  The night I flew in to join Mr. Mersy, I burst into tears as we flew over the Statue of Liberty and the immense expanse of what I now know to be the nighttime star-scape of Manhattan and Brooklyn spread out below us.  I had no frame of reference to imagine anything so vastly populated.

But the wee towns, I can well imagine, and this past weekend Mr. Mersy and I drove around to see what life looked like in Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown.  We want to move there tout de suite!

It was cruelly cold (wind chills of 20 below), and the towns were silent, hibernating under the grey skies and wind sweeping in off the Hudson.  When life re-emerges in March, I imagine it will be quite charming.

It was too bitter to walk about, but we did take a drive through the Sleepy Hollow cemetery, hoping we might run into Washington Irving or perhaps Rip VanWinkle.  


A strange somnolence washed over us as we drove along, surrounded by the silence and the cold.  We had to pull over to switch drivers before I fell asleep at the wheel.

You might say we fell under a bit of a spell that afternoon.
~Mersydotes

Comments