Pythons & Hearts

Some days are frigid and clear, others bone-chillingly damp.  The ice has frozen so solid out in the streets that it took three big dudes from Queens, a wrench, a shovel, and lots of burning rubber to free my little car from its parking space last week.  I owe them a huge thank you, because I made it to work in plenty of time, and I learned that if you want help from strangers in NYC, you just have to offer them your parking space.

Usually, I would contrast that opening paragraph with a mention of how warm and snuggly it's been inside our little apartment, but unfortunately that would be a downright lie.  The super has gone awol, leaving us with very little heat.  Despite our attempts to track him down, he is remaining elusive, and we are shivering.  The radiators almost never come on any more, and we sleep with the doors closed and our wee space heater running full-blast all night.  Goodness knows what our electricity bill is going to look like.

But even if our outer husks are freezing, our internal kernels have hope for spring.  I've been learning a few new skills these past weeks including how to program in Python and how to do filet crochet.  The Python was Mr. Mersy's idea, as his work is programming, and I always want to know what he's up to.  I'm learning through the Codecademy program, with Mr. Mersy watching like an all-knowing sphinx over my shoulder.  The other night, I created my first "useful" bit of code- a Pig-Latin translator program.  Now, you can type in any word, and this little program will give you the Pig-Latin equivalent.  Just in case you couldn't figure it out for yourself ; )  In the spirit of advancing knowledge and fostering humanity's intellectual growth, I hereby publish my breakthrough:

As for the filet crochet, it's been colorful and quick.  Just a couple of thread coasters with hearts in the middle.  I love the sheen of the cotton thread and the tiny hook.

We've got some friends who are newlyweds, and I thought this might make a nice gift to brighten up their apartment.  Either that, or they'll beg me to stop stitching them things with hearts.  You never know- it could go either way. ; )


Be fabulous dear peeps, and stay warm!
Lots of love,
~Mersydotes

Comments