Home Again

I thought it would break my heart to drive back to NYC after spending two whole weeks with my people in Illinois.  

Like when I was in grad school and had to stop by the side of the road as I drove through the fields downstate, just to catch my breath and feel brave enough to go back to my little apartment on my own.  But it was so different this time.  13 hours driving with Mr. Mersy, and the whole time, I just felt grateful to be with him, driving with him, making my life with him.  I couldn't have done it if I'd been going back on my own.  

And it was a wonderful two weeks!  Getting to share the rhythm of everydayness with Grandma and Mama and Papa Mersy.  Making cookies with Mom that didn't turn out quite right, tagging along to help Pop out at work, and doing impossible crossword puzzles with Grandma while waiting for her doctor.


For Thanksgiving, I tried out a four new recipes, but only two were real winners, I think.  There was autumn slaw (not fabulous, but at least I learned what fennel looks like), blueberry cranberry sauce (tasty, but too sweet), white chocolate fudge (I didn't try any, but Mr. Mersy likes it), and roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and blue cheese.  That was the real winner!  Even family members that had never had a Brussels sprout before asked me for the recipe- yippee!

And for two whole days we got to hang with the absolute best friend in the whole wide world- M & Z and their little dog C!  You know all is right in the world when you can sit on the kitchen floor with your husband, best friends, parents, and four rat terriers and talk the whole night through.  We walked in the woods, talked about the pointlessness of "shoulds", scrambled eggs, visited magical candy shops, and ran with the dogs.  We couldn't have been happier!





With love and kisses to everyone,
~Mersydotes

Comments