The Mersys go to NYC Honey Week

'Twas a cold and blustery early fall day today, and the wind whipped against us as we boarded a bus for the Rockaways.  We passed through the snarls of southern Queens and finally broke free in Jamaica Bay- I could feel my lungs opening up once the ocean came into view.  

The beaches were empty and pristine, the sky and surf were tangled together, rolling over the sand.  I could hardly believe the gulls could take the pelting of the wind and the burning of the whipping sand.

And along the beach's edge, there was an amazing gathering- Honey Fest 2014.  Perhaps I am the only person in the world who would interpret Honey Fest this way, but I felt that it was the most incredible form of protest and rebellion against this mega-urban life that is slowly squishing the life out of me.  Can you think of any more elegant way to fight for your life than to care for honey bees, to educate your friends and community, and to celebrate the pure goodness of honey?  All I can say, with deep respect, is "Rock on honey revolutionaries!"

Mr. Mersy and I had a wonderful time wandering along, tasting wildflower honey grown on rooftops in Brooklyn and urban gardens in Queens.  We sampled hyper-local whipped honey, and it blew me away- what an extraordinary taste!

We learned a lot, too.  There were bee keepers who explained the way hives over-winter, as well as the life cycle of the queens.  They showed us the construction of the hives and how the bees tended their eggs and used propolis, wax, royal jelly, and honey.

Honestly, I think I would enjoy being a bee.  They are intelligent, hard-working, tidy, communal creatures, and I see great appeal in their way of life.

We also saw a demonstration of honey harvesting.  The combs were scraped to open the cells, then spun in a hand centrifuge to separate wax and honey.  The smell of the bee's wax was gorgeous out there mixed with the ocean wind!



I'm going to do my best to dream about the bees for the rest of the week.  This was an escape- a minute that we stole away from New York.  And I will cherish it.
~Mersydotes

Comments