Embroidered Photos

On Sunday afternoon, we were poking around the Brooklyn Flea Market with Mr. Mersy's fabulous sister S.  It was very atmospheric to be surrounded by piles of old records, depression era glassware, handmade jewelry, dogs of every shape and size, lots of tattoos, and vendors of small-batch home-brewed maple lemonade while the sky threatened rain and the misty humidity rolled off the East River.

At a booth specializing in every kind of old, empty metal tin you can imagine, I stumbled upon a trove of photo postcards "editions d'art" from France: Orleans, Paris, Provence.  They were black and white and nostalgic with "Photo Veritable" written in curlicue letters on the backs.  They were just perfect for a little project I had been wanting to try my hand at for a while.  

Have you ever seen embroidered photos?  I love the pop of color on black and white and the idea of combining thread with photo to create something tactile and spiffy.  Also, my creaky bones were causing me an awful lot of trouble this weekend, so I needed something sedentary and meditative to distract my mind from the pain.  Here's how they turned out:

First up, we have the Tour Eiffel as seen from the Jardins du Trocadero:

And the Cathedrale Sainte-Croix at Orleans:

Notre Dame de Paris (I learned how to embroider French knots for this one!):

And lastly the Moulin de A. Daudet at Fontvieille:

I do believe I've caught the bug- can't wait to try this with some black and white New York postcards!
Hope your week is off to a great start!
Love,
~Mersydotes

Comments