Crochet Heart Door Hangers & Scented Yarn!

Several months ago I was fortunate enough to receive a gorgeous new phone as a gift.  It takes the most wonderful photos and does the most amazing things!  When I transferred from my old phone to the new one, however, it turns out that I left behind photos for a blog post that I had been planning.  Happily, I've just rediscovered these photos and wanted to share them with you.

Have you discovered scented yarn?  It's a real thing!  And it's not gross!  Lily's Sugar'n Cream has come out with an entire line of scented yarns, and seeing as I love their cotton (organic, American-grown, pretty colors), I thought I'd do a bit of experimenting with scented crocheting.

Normally I'm pretty sensitive to scents, so I was wary of being overwhelmed, but I thought this yarn was delightful!  I've absolutely fallen for the lavender yarn, and the rose one was really pleasant too- just tiny hints of fresh, herbal scents as you stitch.  The only one that I am on the fence about is the powdery white yarn- not an unpleasant scent, but perhaps a bit medicinal.

With these newly scrumptious skeins mixed in to my cotton stash, I decided to make some folksy decorations for our apartment.  Our building dates from the early 50s, and the units have probably been repainted a hundred times.  Big, thick chunks of paint peel off of our doors to reveal hideously outmoded colors underneath.  Tiles have cracked, the grouting has simply fled in despair, and the floors have been shellacked until the detritus of over half a century is preserved underneath like flies in amber.  So you can see why we might need some homey touches here and there!



These little heart door hangers are slightly adapted from the pattern on the Lulu Loves blog (you can find the link here).  The only change I made was to make both sides of the heart symmetrical rather than the more modern version in the original pattern.  Finishing each one off with either a button or a bead gave them finished looks, and now there's a happy, homey heart hanging off each of the doorknobs in our little house.

And they smell good too!
Lots of love,
~Mersydotes

Comments