Orphan Yarn: Beaded Crochet Coasters

My lovely friends and fellow Yarnettes joined me for coffee the other weekend, and surprised me with 12 skeins of Pebbles yarn in a granite rose color way.  It turns out that I am the third owner of this massive pile of yarn which has been bouncing from stitcher to stitcher looking for a home and a purpose in life.  I think it's found a home at last with me.

I can understand why everyone has been confounded by this particular yarn.  It's chunky and fuzzy and knobbly, and it's actually really hard to figure out what to do with it.  I suppose if we were fiber artists or yarn bombers we'd freeform crochet a masterpiece that showed off its texture, but, alas, we are but humble yarnsters.

And so the pretty, knobbly yarn became sets of humble, beaded coasters.  Using a K hook and a simple crocheted circle, they turned out to be nice and squishy and pleasantly rustic looking.  I added the wooden beads afterwards by sewing them onto the edge- I couldn't crochet them on because the length made it hard to attach the beads without having to stitch over them.

Once fall comes around again, I think these will make a nice and cozy addition to any mug of tea.  But remember- there were a dozen skeins of this stuff, so, if I know you, don't be surprised if you suddenly possess a new set of coasters!

Do you have any orphan yarn that you are trying to find a use for?  Let me know what you come up with!

Lots of love,
~Mersydotes

Comments

Post a Comment