Crochet Cafetiere Cozy & Coffee Memories

I chose this title for its alliterative properties, but you could just as easily call this project a French-press hug.  Or a coffee sweater.  Or a pot smock.  
It's a little collection of red and white granny squares made from summery cotton hemp.  It reminds me of summertime, warm mornings, gingham, and bare feet.
Hopefully, it will help to keep my morning coffee warm while I poke about from the shower to the kitchen, having a sip here, a sip there, never quite finishing a whole cup, but desperate for the first sip as soon as I wake up.
It closes at the back with two crochet buttons- just twelve stitch circles sew together for strength.  I must admit- making the buttons was my favorite part!
Even if I just have a sip in the morning, it's the whole process of coffee making that's special to me.  When I was growing up, every morning I would make my mother a cup of coffee after I got ready to go to school.  I'd wait for the kettle to boil, in wintertime enjoying the warmth next to the stove.  I'd poor in a spoonful of instant coffee and take it to her in the bathroom while she did her hair and put on her makeup.  My mother is such a beautiful woman, and I will never forget being perched on the sink, watching her get ready every morning.  She would curl her beautiful dark hair and put on her mascara while talking to me about what we both had planned for the day at school- me as a student, and she as a teacher.   
And then she'd take a scalding hot sip of coffee, and we'd be off to the car and on our way.  My mom never took to the idea of a traveling mug for the car, so she would hold her mug of steaming coffee in her right hand as we drove along to school.  When we'd take a turn or go over a bump, she'd hold out the mug to her right, inevitably splashing boiling coffee all over my lap.  I like to think it made me tough! ; )  To this day, the sound of a boiling kettle in the morning reminds me of the smell of my mom's hairspray and the sound of her voice.  It reminds me of what she taught me about being a beautiful, brilliant woman.

Lots of love,
~Mersydotes

Comments