Autumn Arrives in the City

There is a definite chill in the air these days throughout the mighty city. I was worried that an urban fall would pale in comparison to a Midwestern autumn, but I've been really surprised by how very present the seasonal change has been even among the trash strewn streets and vermin filled trains.
Mr Mersy and I felt the need to escape Queens big-time last weekend, so we packed up Penny in her travel box and hopped the train to Central Park on Sunday afternoon. 
I breathe such a sigh of relief every time we pass through the park gates. It's our refuge.
The trees are already turning colors. Our ancestors sitting on the leaves in their war paint watching over us.
We found a wee squirrel's stash- I used to dream of living in a little tree knot like this one when I was wee.  Actually, I still dream of living in a little tree knot.  Just like David the gnome.  I would wear a pointy red had and a dandelion yellow dress, and sleep in a bed of maple leaves.
We stayed all afternoon in the park until the light faded away, and then we walked past the brownstones until we ended up in a diner on 3rd Avenue, tucked into a bench, Penny sleeping in her puppy box, eating grilled cheese and pickles while the Manhattan lights twinkled outside and the delivery men popped in and out.

Welcome autumn- we're so glad you're here!
~Mersydotes

Comments