The Unexpected Flowers

Last summer I made the mistake of only planting edibles on the patio.  This was wonderful and tasty (peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, etc.), but I realized that it was just as valid to plant flowers as it was to plant vegetables and herbs.  Enjoying blossoms and color would also add to the general enjoyment of our little life.

So, this year I put out three pots for flowers, and in one of them I planted sweet pea seeds.  At first, they grew like wildfire, but when the vines began to climb, the plant inexplicably dried up and died, having produced just one little white blossom.  Still hopeful that I could save it, I kept watering the increasingly crisp little plant, and I'm glad I did, because it led to quite a surprise! 

Our bird feeder is near our potted plants, and sometimes the birds like to sit in the pots as they munch.  The squirrel also loves our patio (and we love watching him!) and he too enjoys the seed, sometimes burying snacks for later in the flower pots.

Well, lo-and-behold, some little critter buried seeds from the feeder in the sweet pea pot, and now, where the pea vines have failed, we have beautiful yellow wild flowers!  What an unexpected but lovely surprise! 

Thank you so much little birds, and little squirrel!  We love you all very much!
~Mersydotes

Comments