Summer Crochet Coasters: A Pattern Reboot

This month was my beautiful cousin K's birthday, and the timing was perfect because she was actually going to be flying through NYC on business!  We spent a sunny day in Bryant Park, squeezing in all our chatting and laughing and catching up before she had to catch her plane back home.  I love these flyby visits- they make me feel like the city is actually a friendly and familiar place!

I wanted to make her a little something handmade and brightly colored that she could take with her back home (but that wouldn't bulk up her carryon!), and I decided on a set of summer coasters.  In the past, I've made the Yvestown coaster pattern for our own house, but the yarn I have now is of a more delicate gauge, so I had to adjust the pattern.  You can find the original pattern on Ravelry here.  

Here are my two rows of ad-libbed stitches: 

Round 4 (my pattern): 7 ch between each ch 2 space, sc in each ch 2 space, secure with a slip stitch at the end.

Round 5 (my pattern): slip stitch into the first ch 7 space, in each ch 7 space, 4 dc (use a ch 3 for the first dc), ch3 picot, 4 dc, sc in each sc from the previous round between the ch 7 spaces, secure with a slip stitch in the original ch 3 to end.

With these changes, the coasters turned out just the right size, and I made one in every color I had!

What do you think?  Will these be nice for a summer evening sipping cool drinks and watching the sunset as the crickets warm up for their nightly chirping?  I hope so!

(P.S. They already look lovely as an addition to my cousin's living room!)

Lots of love,
~Mersydotes

Comments