Simple Stitching: Minimalist Crochet Coasters & Little Lewis the Lamb

February really is the absolute worst month.  Anyone who says otherwise has either been living under a rock or a lot closer to the Equator than I am- either way, they're better off.  What other month so mercilessly combines grey skies, sleeting rain, wet socks, freezing mornings, dead foliage, and hissing radiators?  And that is precisely why I have nearly stitched myself to the couch this month- you'll have to excavate me from a pile of yarn when March finally comes around!

So this post today is everything that makes up for that gloom: soft and snugly wool, warm amber tones, minimalist lines, and pleasant domesticity.  Mr. Mersy had been wanting to display his new and special decanter and glasses for a while now, but we didn't have anything to use as coasters or protect the table from their glass edges.  But I did have just a bit of leftover yarn from the amazing ball of pure wool roving that Mama and Papa Mersydotes had given me a few years back.  Do you remember Lewis the lamb?  I have been savoring his wool little by little for the past several years, using it carefully for only the most special and cuddly of projects.

I wasn't sure if I could stretch the yardage to make an entire set of double-thick coasters and a doily, but by some miracle it was just enough.  I only had three inches left at the end!  They are thick, and warm, and the creamy wool is flecked with little bits of straw and grain.  While I was working I could smell the sweetness of hay and warm breath of the lambs.  Somewhere in northern Illinois little Lewis the lamb has grown into a big ram, but I'm sure he would be proud to see how his bounty has contributed to making ours a warmer and more welcoming nest.

Thank you, little Lews!
Love,
~Mersydotes

Comments