What I Know about Penny

This month, I've been reading Inside of a Dog, What Dogs See, Smell, and Know so that Penny and I can commune at an even deeper level.  And as I learn about canine evolution and dog-human co-evolution, it's been making me consider what I already know about my little pup and who she is.  For instance, 
 I know that Penny loves her "little bed" that we created out of a broken laundry basket and a thread-bare pillow.  Every night, she hops in, hunkers down, and waits until about 3 am when she sneaks onto the big bed, quiet as can be.
 I know that Penny has a gift of healing.  Every time I have felt blue or had too much pain in my creaky bones, she offers me comfort, bringing me her doggy softness and puppy smell and taking away my aches.
 I know that Penny misses us during the day, just as we miss her while we're at work.  Once Papa Mersy comes home, Penny makes sure she gets in her lap time.
 I know that Penny thinks, emotes, and feels just as sincerely and deeply as I do.
 I know that Penny is a scoundrel-ita when it comes to asking for treats- she has facial expressions for every occasion. 
 I know that Penny finds our presence just as comforting and restful as we find hers.  There's no place she'd rather be than near us, and there's no place we'd rather be than near her.
 I know that Penny is a quirky little critter with her own likes and dislikes.  She used to be terrified of my tangly yarn, but she's come to appreciate its luxurious softness and now insists on getting doggy hair all over my skeins.
 I know that Penny has a deep respect for the value of a good after-dinner chew.
I know that Penny and Mr. Mersy are my best friends.

Lots of love,
~Mersydotes

Comments