The Flea Market!


On a very  sunny day in May, Mr. Mersy helped me set up our bookshelf and side table in a parking lot in the crisp morning air, and "Made by Mersy" was born!  It was our local flea market, and the call had gone out for crafters to join in as well.  Along with lots of folks clearing out their attics, there were jewelry makers, plant sellers, and me.  If I do say so myself, my booth was a bit of local "color".  

For the first time in a verrrrrrrrry long time, I felt like I was a part of a community.  The kind you see in British cozy mysteries on PBS where everyone is connected, walks everywhere, and participates in local fetes.  I had wonderful friends who accompanied me through the day to keep me company and help me not to be too shy.  And walking through the flea market were friends from knitting group, neighbors, and local folks I recognized from our daily errands.  It was an absolutely lovely afternoon, and turned out to be a very good experience.

From a practical point of view, the folks who stopped by my booth offered some valuable feedback on pricing, what items they liked, and what items they would like to see in the future.  The "Made by Mersy" booth at the local holiday fair this coming winter will be much improved!  One of the jokes that Mr. Mersy and I had before the flea market was that I would come home with just as many stuffed chickens as I began with because no one would be interested in them.  But those little chickens were my hottest sellers!  Folks really loved them and appreciated how adorable they were!  Looks like I'll be making some more chickens!

Gosh am I glad that I did this!  It was such an enjoyable day, the beginning of a tiny new venture...and I even made six dollars!  Can't beat that with a stick!

What new ventures have you tried recently?
Lots of love,
~Mersydotes

Comments