A Tale of Two Buttons

Early in February we were walking around Bryant Park with Mr. Mersy's sister, trying to stay warm by walking on top of the subway vents, waiting for the blasts of warm air.  No matter how bundled up we were, that damp sea air of Manhattan kept chilling us through, and Mr. Mersy's sister was tempted to buy an ear warmer from a street vendor until she saw the price.  What would probably have gone for two bucks in Queens was going for thirteen in Manhattan, so I told her not to worry, I could crochet one for her lickety-split.  

Here's how it turned out, with a snazzy little button around the cinch.  It's not just any button, though. This is, in fact, a button from a burqah, and I'd been waiting for just the right occasion to use it.  It came from a friend of mine who covered fully, and one day I noticed that her abbaya had brand new buttons on the front.  After complimenting her, she went home, gathered her extra buttons, and presented them to me the next day.  What a treat!

I had another special button waiting on my desk ever since I returned from Colombia last August.  While we were walking along the streets of Cali, Papa Mersy and I quite accidentally stumbled upon an entire alleyway devoted to textiles and fibers.  The shops were riotous explosions of color with ribbons handing from the ceilings and yarns rolled up behind glass counters.

We wanted to take some photos to capture the loveliness, but we felt kind of conspicuous pulling out our cameras in a crowded shop, so Papa Mersy asked one of the attendants for permission to take photos.  She went to ask the owner who was so flattered by the request that he came out to shake our hands, tell us the history of the shop, and to introduce us to his father who founded it long ago.  It seems like our entire trip was filled with warm welcomes and bright colors.  I can't wait to visit again. 

Of course, I came home with wonderfully bright yarns, but also with a very special button in the shape of a coffee bean.  But how could I ever find a project special enough for my coffee button from Cali?  How about my first knitting project?

I finally finished my very first knitted cowl on Friday night while gathered with a few friends for knitting and chatting.  It's not perfect, in fact there's an extra row that is cleverly hidden at the back, but I think that just adds character and shows that it's the product of my own two hands.  Plus, this way the creative spirits have a way of escaping ; )

Never in a million years did I think I'd learn to knit, let alone knit a pattern.  I really enjoyed myself even though I constantly felt like all my yarn was going to slip off the hooks and unravel at any moment!  It actually did a few times, but I survived.  And now I can proudly wear my coffee button as I venture out into the mean streets of Queens and dream of life in Cali where everything is filled with warmth!

Lots of love and a very happy Monday to all!
~Mersydotes
    

Comments